Friday, March 20, 2009

morning delishousness

I made an incredibly yummy and very healthy breakfast the other morning that was approved by one and all, and it was so simple to make.

Amaranth Breakfast Cereal

2 cups Apple juice
1 cup Water
1 cup Amaranth seed/grain
Maple syrup or Honey
Apple slices
Grapes
Banana slices

Bring apple juice & water to a boil in a pot. Add amaranth, and cook approx 20 minutes or until most of the liquid has been absorbed. Serve in bowls with a squirt of honey or maple syrup to sweeten and fruit on top.



Amaranth is an ancient grain that has been cultivated for nearly 8,000 years. It was a very important food for the Incas and Aztecs, and today is gaining popularity in North America. I didn't know much about it at all until I spied it in the bulk food store next to my beloved quinoa and brought some home. Now that I've tried it, I'm in love, and I can't wait to plant some in the garden this spring.

Amaranth provides a complete protein and is rich in iron, magnesium, copper, phosphorus and manganese, and a good source of dietary fibre. In a word, awesome.

No comments: